One of the frustrating things I have been running into now that I have a child is parents who give up something after the first or even second try. If their child didn't like a toy right away or a play yard or a game or a food they never introduce it again. I have read about this type of thing several times over the last couple months, mainly on sites that review products for children. When I see someone say, "We bought this toy, but when our child tried it, he just hated it so this is a stupid toy," or "when we put our child in this play yard he cried the minute he was in it and we had to take him out." I want to say to these people, "Your child will never get used to anything, will never persevere, if you just let him off the hook the minute he doesn't like something." Alexis has had a few toys she didn't take to at first. I just kept introducing them and now she plays with them. Sometimes I think she just wasn't ready age wise yet so I kept trying until she was. Same goes for foods and anything else.
I think I am starting to understand three things: 1) Why many children aren't learning creativity. Some parents think that their child has to like everything right away. If their child doesn't, then the opportunity to grow and learn is removed immediately. Maybe this is why so many kids are tied to the TV and video games. It makes them happy so parents think it's good. But maybe we should think beyond happiness. Maybe we want our children to learn the skill of working through something we think we don't like at first. 2) Why so many children are picky. I know a mother who feeds all her children different meals because they all like different things. Parents jump through hoops to make sure their children get exactly what they want. This makes kids picky and prone to complaining. Which leads to number three. 3) Why many people can't handle adversity. Children who are never allowed to persevere through something will grow into adults who can't either. They will be adults who think that they should always be happy and if something doesn't make me happy, I'll just quit it.
Here's my charge to parents: Give your kids opportunities to learn to persevere! Whether that be trying again at a game I lost, trying a new food again or playing with a new toy. This will build character for life.
(A note: I am aware that sometimes our children just won't like something. Maybe they aren't gifted in a certain area or really don't have the taste buds for a certain food. I am not saying that we force children to be who they aren't. I'm just saying that before we give up as parents on something for our kids, maybe we should try, try again.)
0 comments:
Post a Comment