It hit me that one of the things I have definitely learned since becoming a mother is how to be second. I know we probably all should learn to be second early on in our marriages as we love our spouse. In many ways, I am second with Roger. But for some reason it took a child to really show me how to be second.
I put Alexis first in many ways. In the morning, I feed her before myself. I play with her before pursuing my hobbies. I sit with her at night if she is sick, rather than in my own bed. And so on. The thing is, this doesn't even bother me. I don't mind being second.
I wonder if this is one of the reasons we love Jesus so much. He put himself second so many times. I'm rereading Matthew and in one part Jesus is tired so he gets in a boat to go to a private place. But what does he find when he gets out of the boat? A whole crowd has followed him. In this situation, I would totally expect someone to say, "Look. I'm tired. I've been with you for days. Just give me some rest, okay?" But Matthew says he had compassion on the crowd and healed them and spoke to them. He put his own fatigue to the side for the crowd. Or what about the time he wrapped a towel around his waist and washed the disciples feet like a servant? Or even better, how he gave up his life for us? Could it be that being second is being a reflection of Christ's love? Yes!
Why is it so easy to be second for Alexis? I love her. So, if I really and truly expressed Christ's love, would I put others first? Yes, I would. I want to take this lesson I've learned and apply it out in the world. I want to put others first and be a true reflection of the Lord.
0 comments:
Post a Comment