What's in a Name? A Whole Lot!

"Shakespeare once asked, 'What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet'...But consider this: would a rose be a popular symbol of love it were called 'stink-weed' or 'death-thorn'? Of course not! A man wouldn't give a death-thorn to a woman whose heart he was trying to win."--Mary Kassian
I read this quote yesterday and it harkened me back to when I discussed this weekend with some parents how they chose the names of their children.  Every couple has their own way of coming up with the perfect name.  Some considerations are the sound of the name, the meaning of the name, honoring a family or friend's name and the initials a child will end up with.  For Hollywood, it sometimes seems the goal is to be as weird as possible: Blue Ivy Carter?  Apple?  Moon Unit and Dweezil?  (I'm starting to think of death-thorn here).
My mom tells this funny story of when she was working at a hospital and a woman was trying to decide between two names for her baby boy.  Mom asked her what the names were: Scott Anthony or Axel Andres.  My mom suggested they go with Scott Anthony :-)
Really, there is a lot in a name.  It is the name that you will be tied to for at least eighteen years, more if you decide not to change it.  A name encompasses hopes and possibilities for a child.  Studies have been done that show a correlation between a person's name and how likely that person is to get a job (in other words, how likely an interviewer will respond positively to a name--like it or not, people are often judged on their names).  Names also reflect the personality of the parent and I guess that can be good or bad depending on the name that is chosen (don't forget the parents that weren't allowed to name their child Hitler by a judge).
I thought it would be fun to tell you how we chose Alexis' name.  For Roger, the sound was important.  For me, the meaning was a priority.  For this reason, I went through a baby book and picked all the girl names that I liked the meaning of.  We found early on that we both liked Alexis--Roger liked the sound, I liked the meaning.  We finally came down to Alexis or Michaela.  When she was born, we just knew right away she should be Alexis.
Why do I like the name Alexis?  First, it's a Greek name like mine.  You'll notice that our last two choices reflect the main languages the Bible was written in: Michaela is Hebrew and Alexis is Greek.  My name is Carissa, a variant on the Greek charis, which means grace.  Alexis comes from alexo, which means "help/defend."  Second, I love the meaning of Alexis.  For a name, it means "helper or defender of mankind."  What a wonderful future idea for a child--to become someone who will help and defend others!  Third, Alexis' middle name is her Grandma's name.  I love my mom so much and I wanted to honor her through Alexis' middle name--Marilyn.
So, why did you choose the name you did for your child?  Honoring a parent?  Sound?  Meaning?  Or I just liked it?

2 comments:

amanda said...

First, I appreciate that you and Roger put thought into Alexis' name. Not that your thoughtfulness surprises me. :) Alexis' name is beautiful, and I love that you included your mother's name. Marilyn is such a strong, classic name that is rarely used anymore.

Like you, we have more than one reason for why each of our kids are named what they are.

Nathan Thomas: We wanted a biblical name for our firstborn son, and I really liked the name Nathan both due to its meaning (gift of God) and his role in King David's life. The prophet Nathan always seemed like such a courageous man to me, and I liked the idea of our son having that same boldness prayed over him through his name. It took Jimmy awhile to like the name (he knew some guys in school named Nathanael, Nathan, and Nate who were punks), but he eventually came around. Nathan's middle name, Thomas, is a family name on Jimmy's side.

Laura Brooks: My parents originally were going to name me Laura if I was a girl, but then there were too many Lauras, Lories, and Laurens, etc. at their church and they went with Amanda in hopes of me not being one of many (Ha! That worked!). I always loved the name Laura much more than the name Amanda, so despite having always said that I wanted to name my daughter Hannah or Abigail in every game of MASH that I ever played as a kid, we went with Laura. We also love the meaning of her name "crown of laurel," because it symbolizes victory. Her middle name, Brooks, is a family name on my side. Jimmy liked the name Laura Brooks immediately. If she had been a boy, she would have been named Luke (we never thought of a girl name for Nathan, because I knew 100% he was a boy).

Creed Holt: My favorite character in the book "Christy" by Catherine Marshall is Creed Allen, and I think he has the coolest name. I also liked the idea of naming our son after the Apostle's Creed. It took Jimmy a day or two of mulling the name over (mostly because of the band Creed), and he agreed after I had him watch the Rich Mullins' video for his song "Creed." Holt is a family name on Jimmy's side. We never thought of a girl's name for him either.

When I was a kid, I wanted to have boys with J names: Jonathan, Josiah, or Jeremiah. I abandoned that plan as soon as I knew I was going to marry Jimmy. I couldn't have a bunch of JJs running around. ;)

Diana said...

Well, if I had had any children, I always liked the name Miller for a boy, because it's my last and maiden name and our family line is ending. I don't look a whole lot at meanings, but I love family names, like Julianna (g g grandma) and Irish names like Maura. :-)

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger