I'm An Adult!

Mama Kat Prompt: List the 6 best things about being an adult.

I like being an adult.  I would never go back to being a child or youth or even to college.  It's not that I didn't enjoy any of those times in my life; it's that I like where I am now and what I can do now and I wouldn't change it.

1) I have a brain--and it works!  Yes, I am aware some adults never find their brains.  Maybe that is because they are still children.  They haven't "put away childish things" (1 Cor. 13:11).  As for me, I love that I have a fully developed prefrontal cortex that puts ideas and connections together, that reasons and evaluates.  Life is so much richer now that I can think deeply about matters.

2) I have a deeper relationship with God.  Let's face it, without going through challenges and learning that God is faithful, you don't grow in your personal relationship with him.  As an adult, I've matured through trial, learned to rely more on my God, and come to understand more of who He is.  I clearly recognize his character in the world and my life.

3) I have a great friendship with my parents.  Relating to my parents as adults has added a deeper level to our relationship.  I especially love being with my mom.  She's my best friend.  We hang out and talk and I go to her for advice.  We can relate to each other on the same level now.  And I also realize how right my parents were through my growing up years!

4-5) I'm a wife and mother!  Okay, so these two roles might take work, but the joy they bring me is worth it.  Okay, yes, teens can become mothers.  But the lack of maturity as a teen makes for a difficult time and an often neglected child.  I'm glad I became an adult and got married, learned to love my hubby unconditionally, had a baby and learned to love her unconditionally.  Being a wife and mother has forced me to learn to love and serve others above myself.  I guess in many ways, it's made me humble.

6) I can do all the things I couldn't do as a child and youth!  I can drive a car (with my prefrontal cortex in gear).  I can vote.  I have a job that is making a difference in the world (I teach).  I don't have to call someone every time I want to go somewhere.  I decide what events I want to go to and go to them.  There is so much freedom in the life of an adult.  Yes, there is busyness and responsibility, too.  With great power, comes great responsibility.  My powers of being an adult I hope are tempered with wisdom, with maturity as I've become a better person.

It seems there is a theme flowing through my list: maturity.  Maturing is a good thing.  The world opens before you.  If you haven't seen the live action movie of Peter Pan, I recommend it.  Peter Pan is a story of growing up.  Peter is the boy who refuses to grow up.  Wendy is tempted to do the same.  But little by little she realizes that she'd miss something if she didn't grow up.  This exchange in the movie is my favorite:

Peter: Why do you have to spoil everything? We have fun, don't we? I taught you to fly and to fight. What more could there be?

Wendy: There is so much more.

Peter: What? What else is there?

Wendy: I don't know. I guess it becomes clearer when you grow up.

Wendy was right.  There is something about growing up.  The magic of childhood is its own joy for a time.  The joy of adulthood is to come, a joy that if seized correctly brings delight (not a feeling but a contented happiness of the will) the rest of your life.

5 comments:

Raine said...

it is pretty great being mature but still able to have fun

May said...

Love the positivity of your piece. And-yes, there is much to be said for brain wiring that is complete!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!

I reflected on a adulthood too!!!

Sending love a la MamaKats <3

Blissful growing,

Nicki G. The Blissful Wife
www.blissfulvida.com

Mom said...

Though I can still act like a kid (i.e. be young at heart and sometimes silly),I relish the relationship we have now too. It is such a joy to share with your child on an adult level. Thank you for your loving comments. I love you so very much!

Unknown said...

Really great post! I love how you summed it up with that dialogue between Peter Pan and Wendy.

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger