Do It Again!

"Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, 'Do it again;' and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we." - GK Chesterton

Okay, so I totally ripped this off from my friend, Amanda (thanks, Amanda!). But I just love this quote and it is so appropriate for this post. I had my first dose of child monotony this week at my parents. My mom and dad have this bouncer they bought for Alexis to have at their home since my mom watches Alexis for me when I'm at work. It has this bird in a nest that hangs above the bouncer and makes music when it's pulled. My hubby was out of town for business on Wednesday, so I ate dinner with my parents. We put Alexis in the bouncer and she kept pulling the bird nest all through dinner. (I think she actually just liked pulling it more than the music, but I can't be sure since she can't tell me which it is yet :-D).

I am sure I will have many more moments like this. My parents reminded me of when we went on vacation once and my brother and I played this same cassette tape over and over on our little Fisher Price tape player. (As a side note, this cassette tape taught me the word kumquat). My parents got so annoyed I remember them telling us to find another tape for a while. I don't blame them!

Child repetitiveness I am sure can get annoying, but maybe if I look at it the way Chesterton did I'll at least see my child as reflecting God himself. Even if I still have to ask her nicely to put something aside for a while to save my sanity!

3 comments:

Kerry C. (AKA "Kallie") said...

I heard somewhere children do that to enable their learning. As a bonus, it's also God's way of teaching us patience. *sigh*

Amanda said...

:)

Kerry is right about it helping kids learn. Most kids start learning to read a book because they've memorized it first after hearing it read to them a billion times.

It's also a source of comfort for them. They thrive on consistency, so knowing that the story is going to end the same way every single time comforts them -- they know what to expect and don't have to worry about the outcome. Superman is always going to save the airplane. Winnie the Pooh is always going to get his honey. Robin Hood is always going to marry Maid Marian.

I firmly believe that allowing kids to enjoy this repetitiveness helps them better understand God's consistency -- He always loves us, always forgives us, always cares for us, etc.

Carissa said...

Ooo, I like that. That this teaches them about God's consistency. And yeah, I'm learning patience, too!

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger