There are actually several Petunia books, but this is the first titled simply Petunia. Petunia finds a book and she has heard that "he who owns books and loves them is wise." Petunia decides to carry the book around, thinking that in doing so she will become wise. She grows quite proud as the animals ask her for advice and of course, this silly goose's advice is rarely as wise as she thinks it is. When disaster strikes the barnyard because of Petunia's foolish advice, she finally sees the book has pages. At this point, Petunia speaks my favorite lines: "Now I understand. It was not enough to carry wisdom under my wing. I must put it in my mind and in my heart." Thus, she sets her mind to learning to read to do just that. A wonderful children's book that teaches the value of wisdom.
Four Little Kittens is a Little Golden Book I read as a child and now I read to my daughter. Four kittens are born on a farm and when they are old enough, their mother tells them they must decide what kind of cats they are. She describes three options: alley cats, ship's cats and farm cats. Three of the kittens have the personalities to fit the three descriptions, but poor Muff fits none of them. Muff seeks the answer to what kind of cat she is. I like this book because each kitten, including Muff who doesn't seem to fit the kinds of cats, finds his/her place in life. A good lesson that everyone has a different personality and will end up doing different things. This book is great for jumping off into a discussion of your child's unique personality and gifts.
I adore this book. I bought Fanny's Dream before my daughter was born I loved it that much. This is an especially good book for little girls faced with the inundation of princess stories. Fanny dreams of going to the mayor's ball and marrying a prince. She expects her fairy godmother to show up and make it happen. But only Heber, a hardworking farmer, comes along. Fanny isn't that impressed with him but after a long think, she accepts Heber's proposal that she become his wife. Years pass and we see laughter, hard work, trials and children in Fanny and Heber's life. Then when Fanny goes out the door one night, her fairy godmother shows up late, apologizing and saying she can take Fanny to a ball right now and get her a prince. I won't spoil the ending, but I loved what my preschooler said at this point: "But she already married Heber." That's right. A great book for teaching about appreciating and loving people in reality.
James Herriot is a veterinarian in rural England. This collection contains eight stories about animals and their owners. Some are funny and some are touching. This is a good book for a child who loves animals. Its stories are examples of how man can appreciate and care for God's creation.
The Progress of Pilgrim Mouse is based on John Bunyan's book The Pilgrim's Progress. Christopher Mouse makes a journey to The Evergreen Wood. On the way he learns lessons about staying on the path and being wise. Although the symbolism is clearly referring to the Christian walk, it's a bit obscure for a preschooler. This is a book that will grow with your child. At this point, my daughter and I discuss more than anything how Holgate Hedgehog tells Christopher to "keep on the straight and narrow path." Christopher has many opportunities to be led astray and these provide a great place for discussion. This is a book with several short chapters with side pictures, however, my daughter has not been bored. We read it in its entirety the first night we got it and she wanted to read it again right after!
1 comments:
I've never heard of any of these! I need to check the library to see if any of them are there. I really need to buy The Progress of Pilgrim Mouse. That one in particular sounds wonderful.
One of my favorites as of late are the "How Does a Dinosaur..." series. Creed loves dinosaurs, so the books are reinforcing manners so well for him. I appreciate that the paperbacks are also inexpensive at Half Price.
Post a Comment