This is a repost of a blog from last year. If you are looking for a meaningful way to celebrate Holy Week, I highly recommend these ornaments:
Over the last few years, I have tried to find ways to emphasize
Resurrection Day (Easter) in our home. Christmas is filled with
decorations and reminders of the season, but Easter seems to get the
shaft--at least religiously. When we first got our house, I went out to
find something to hang on our door that would point to the real meaning
of Easter. Took me a while, but I finally found a cross with a
butterfly on it, a symbol to me of Jesus' death and our new life (the
butterfly). I also have a neat little word block that spells out Easter
and each letter has a verse that goes with it. A few years ago I
happened upon a figurine for sale at Wal-Mart--Jesus and Mary Magdalene
at an empty tomb. I put that on our mantel (after all, we have
nativities at Christmas--why not have the empty tomb at Easter?). With
all these things pointing to the truth, I still thought we lacked
something. That's when I stumbled upon a seller on Etsy who makes Holy
Week ornaments. It's like advent in that you have a devotional for
every day from Palm Sunday to Easter. One ornament goes with each
devotional. Finally I had found something that could tell the
story of Easter in a sequential and meaningful way for our daughter. (I
made my own Resurrection Eggs when I taught preschool. That's fine,
but I like the idea of the ornaments because they stay up the whole week
long, a visual reminder all week). It just so happened that I had
organized our craft supplies the day before and found an unused ornament
tree (thanks, God!).
Below are the ornaments up to the day before Easter:
On Easter, you flip the cross and it looks like this:
If you're looking for a way to make Resurrection Day more meaningful, I
highly recommend these. I'm very pleased someone out there has put time
and effort to emphasize Easter Week just as much as Christmas.
Holy Week Ornaments
0 comments:
Post a Comment