Twilight: The Real Truth

So many women (and their children) are out there reading and buying into the ideas of Twilight. I have read them, but I take objection to many things in them as both a Christian and a person of common sense. I thought of a way to help women understand what Twilight is really saying by relating this to a scenario...

Let's say you have a good, mentoring relationship with a teenage girl (if you have a daughter, think of her). She is debating if she should date a certain guy. So, would you...

Tell her to date a guy who desires to harm her (because after all, he can probably control his impulses)?

Tell her to sleep with said guy in her bed as long as you don't have sex?

Tell her to place all her emotional well-being in this guy?

Tell her to stop being friends with other people and concentrate only on this guy?

Tell her to let this guy change her so she can be just like him?

I am sure there are other questions, but you get the point. If we wouldn't give the above advice to a teenage girl, why do we say a book with these ideas in it is okay. I can tell you from my years working with teenagers that they often do not think about the ideas that are being put into their minds. If we as adults say, "Oh, Twilight is just a book, fiction. No big deal," a teen hears, "Twilight is alright and everything in it is alright." They often are not able to sift the good from the bad in what they encounter because it is a skill they haven't mastered yet. How can we let them flounder instead of helping them know the truth?

And just to catch all the moms with boys ;-D, would you tell your son to...

Date a girl he feels like hurting (because after all, he'll probably control his impulses)?

Sleep in bed with a girl as long as he doesn't have sex?

Put all your desires and emotions into a girl?

Don't have any other friends except your family and this girl?

Change this girl so she looks just like you?

Guys may not be into the Twilight books, but if you are a mom of a boy you can see the danger in Twilight just as well. Reading and loving these books will send a message to your son as much as it can to a daughter.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I shudder at the thought of encouraging either of my kids with the advice Twilight spews. I have yet to read the books due to time constraints, but I can and need to watch the movies at the very least so I can dialogue with my students more effectively. I will definitely put your well thought out questions to use in conversations I have. Thank you!

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger