Our Loving Presence

I recently started reading a wonderful book called The Ministry of Motherhood. The book is structured around the GIFTS that we give our children as they grow. The first is grace. The chapter I read most recently is about giving our children the grace of time together. Here is a quote I just loved:

"I once had dreams of great feats I wanted my children to accomplish with their lives. I wanted them to have a strong moral character and be a testimony for Christ. I wanted them to be leaders to their lost and wandering friends. I wanted them to be excellent in their manners and conduct, work habits, and schoolwork and to be gracious and patient to each other. I wanted them to take up their cross and follow hard after Christ in whatever they were asked to do.

I still have those dreams, of course. But I've also realized that my dreams are not necessarily what really motivate my children to become the best they can be. What matters to them is my loving presence...If I want them to be open to my messages, I need to be willing to serve them--to voluntarily give up my rights and my time to meet their felt needs--just as Jesus was willing to give for his disciples."

I find that rarely do we think of serving our children. The backdrop for Sally Clarkson's words is the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet. Jesus had many dreams for his disciples, and how did he motivate them? With his actions. With his presence. He didn't just tell his disciples what he wanted from them--he showed them.

I need to be present for Alexis. I need to put aside all the things I think I deserve and be there for her. As parents, we are leaders, but we should be servant leaders. It is as we demonstrate true humility and love that our children will listen to the words we say. Without correct action, we will certainly lose them.

Are you a servant leader to your children?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger