Alexis has started to really babble and I love it! I love to hear her little voice. I can't wait until I get to have conversations with her, albeit simple ones at first. I pray I have a relationship with her like the one I have with my mother. I consider my mother to be my best friend. I can tell her anything and she is always supportive. Yeah, I was a jerky teenager at times, but as an adult, I have come to appreciate my mother even more. She is a godly woman who seeks to be like Christ and who shares God's joy everywhere she goes. You can't help but love her when you're around her because her personality is so happy and accepting. She has a soft heart, too. She's compassionate and loving.
So, for the future, I want Alexis to have a good relationship with me. And I have a great example in my mom. I want to make sure I see from Alexis' perspective. I don't want to think that she has to be mature like me--it takes time to be an adult. I want to love Barbies, Sesame Street and board books. I want to discuss friendships and puppy love. I want to laugh with and learn from my daughter. I don't want to be the "I am so much better than you because I am an adult" kind of parent. I want to remember that what is important to Alexis is important to her, even if I really know that in the big scheme of things, it really isn't that important. A lost balloon, a pet that has gone on and a friend that moves away really are a big deal.
I guess when it all comes down to it, I want to listen to my daughter. I don't want to assume I know it all. She's a real person with real feelings and real needs. Instead of rushing forwards, I want to make time to listen.
And why do I want to do all this? This is what my mom did for me. I never saw her as someone aloof from me. Yes, I respected her as my authority. But she didn't lord herself over me. No, she guided me and reached out to me. For this reason, I am such good friends with my mom now.
Lord, please make me a mom that Alexis can turn to in her need without fear! Let us begin a relationship that will be a wonderful, godly friendship when she's an adult!
0 comments:
Post a Comment