Texas, Our Texas! All Hail the Mighty State!

So, I'm using another Mama Kat prompt today: You have a 3 day weekend to do anything you want with your family...money is not a factor, BUT you must stay in your own state. What would you do?

This is easy because I live in the best state in the Union :-D   If you know anything about Texans, you know that we not only learn our state history, but we are proud of our state history.  So, my weekend would just have to surround Texas' historical sites.  When I was younger, my family took a summer to travel all over Texas and I loved that trip and have never forgotten it.

But, I only have three days, so...We would have to go to San Antonio.  There is just so much to see and do in San Antonio.  If you've never been, you must go some day because you will have a wonderful time.  What would we do in San Antonio?  Well, first, since money is no object I'd get to do something I've always wanted to do: stay in one of the expensive, shi-shi hotels right next to the River Walk.  A lot of our time would then be spent wandering the River Walk and taking boat rides.  The River Walk is one of the most fun places in San Antonio and most romantic at night with the beautiful lights.



Then, of course, we would have to visit The Alamo.  Any pure Texan knows the cry, "Remember the Alamo!"  It represents for us the best and bravest of Texans.  If you don't know the names Travis, Bowie and Crockett in combination, I know you didn't grow up in Texas.  This would be Alexis' first time to visit The Alamo, so it would also be a momentous event.  (I'm not going to tell the story of The Alamo.  If you don't know the story and didn't grow up in Texas, take a moment to honor yourself and read about it here).


Once we visited The Alamo, then we could travel the Mission Trail.  There are more missions than The Alamo in Texas and I have visited those that surround San Antonio.  They are so simple and tranquil and worth visiting every one.


Now, because we have Alexis with us, we would probably have to also go to SeaWorld San Antonio.  Actually, Roger and I took our last trip before Alexis was born to San Antonio and went to Sea World.  Alexis would have a blast there.


Finally, the best museum I have ever been to on Texas is in Austin.  So on the way home we would stop by Austin to visit both the capitol building (largest state capitol in the United States, by the way) and the Texas State History Museum.  The museum is one of those modern, hands-on, all senses museums.  Wonderful place to teach your children about Texas history!



So there's my trip in a nutshell.  I actually have done most of it before (minus the extravagant hotel), but I would do it all again because, in a word, I LOVE TEXAS!

3 comments:

Marilyn Netsch said...

I must say that as a Texas transplant I love all those places too! Though I would add Washington County, the birthplace of Texas independence (and Bluebell - best ice cream in the country), especially in the spring during the bluebonnet explosion!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Except for the whole shi-shi hotel thing, this trip you described was our first family trip!

Diana said...

I've been to San Antonio! But I have to say, I didn't experience the romantic side....heehee

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger