Halloween Activities #3 and #4: Spooky Flaps House and Owl Cupcakes

So, today I have two activities to share.  The first was one for my girlie.  The other is one I did.

First, we made a spooky flaps house, as I call it.  I found this online.  It's a craft that can easily be modified by cutting the house shape in different colors.  For example, you could make a princess castle (think pink and purple) or a super hero house (red and blue).  We cut out the house in black and pasted it against a blue background to make it a spooky house at night.  You can find the template for the house here.  I traced the template onto black and yellow paper and cut it out.  The black overlays the yellow to make it look like lights in the house.


Next you trace the flaps (windows and door) onto the black house and cut them.  I used an X-Acto knife to make it easy.


Then you glue the black house on top of the yellow house.  Finally, you glue it to the background paper, in our case blue.  Your kiddo then draws around the house and inside the flaps.  Alexis wanted it to be a bat house and since she didn't like her bats, she made me draw one in every flap!  She did draw a star, an owl and a bat in the sky, though.


The next activity was one I did alone because Alexis isn't old enough to do it yet.  I made owl cupcakes for her preschool's pajama party.  This is another idea I got online.  I thought these little guys were so cute.


So, to make the owl cupcakes, you bake chocolate cupcakes in muffin cups and slather on chocolate icing.  Then you use Oreos to make the background of the eyes.  Be careful pulling them apart--They are tricky!  The pupils and the beak are M&M's.  I put a little chocolate icing on the brown M&M's to make sure they would stick to the Oreos.


The picture I saw online had the Oreo background pure white with no cookie on it. I don't know how in the world they did that.  I have two guesses: 1) Photoshop to make it look perfect or 2) Maybe they used double stuffed Oreos and cut them in half with a thin knife?  I saw someone else's blog who made them and they had the brown from the Oreos, too.  I still think they look cute and preschoolers like pretty much any cute thing, so it's all good.

Yummy owls!!!

Preview of Next Post: Spider Web Embroidery Hoop

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger