Life Change

Mama Kat's writing prompts for this week included this one: "A list of things you no longer have in common with your single/childless friends...and why you love them anyways." I have many single/childless friends and I do love them! I thought this an interesting idea. So here's my list of what I no longer have in common with my single friends:

1. I don't sleep in any more.
2. Hobbies sit on the back burner more often than not.
3. My topic of conversation is inevitably my child.
4. I worry all night if someone I love is breathing when she sleeps.
5. I spend my free time crawling on the floor and playing with toys.
6. I say "no" and "be careful" a whole lot more.
7. I have a profound sense of the mommy instinct God has given to mothers.
8. I can't walk through a baby store without being tempted.
9. I have to deal with after pregnancy body changes.
10. I understand other mommies now.

I still love my single/childless friends because they are full of life and freedom! They are at a place where they can pursue God without so many worries and entanglements. The joy is that every place we find ourselves in life is good as long as we determine to enjoy it. I enjoyed my single life, my married life and now my parent life because I've chosen to enjoy each stage. My single/childless friends produce in me loads of fun and help me remember that life doesn't have to be totally serious just because I'm a parent. I really think I haven't lost touch with my single/childless friends because I still enjoy listening to them, learning from them and loving them. And the biggest reason I still love them is that being a Christian brother or sister goes deeper than any life stage. We are a family, God's family, and for this reason, we always will love each other.

3 comments:

SeekerofGrace said...

This is a great post, Carissa. It's been tough since I became a mom because my closest friend is still single and childless. When my first baby was born, she expected it would be such a big change that we couldn't be as close any more (me moving didn't help)... but I refused to let go, and I value knowing that person that knew me "BC" - before children. We can't have long weekend hangouts anymore, but we stay close by phone & email.

Diana said...

"being a Christian brother or sister goes deeper than any life stage" - how true that is. The bond we share since we met at OBU is a sistership - a bond forged through a shared belief in Christ. :) Great post, Carissa.

Anonymous said...

Laura here...True Carissa, very true indeed. Child or not...I simply enjoy my friends because we are friends and understand that is a bond a life change cannot take away. (Borrowing Diana's words!) I understand family comes first...but still good to stay connected via Internet...and I am so glad other friends of mine can enjoy children and enjoy being mothers...what a gift and a joy, doublely blessed!

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger