
I recently did some research into the way sheep ranchers interact with their sheep and found one rancher that mentioned sometimes they tie the legs of lambs to their mother's legs so that they learn the smell of their mothers and therefore stay with the flock when it moves. "Wow," I thought, "What a marvelous picture of what it means to be a mother." We walk with our precious lambs by our sides, modeling Christ. As they watch us, they learn who Christ is. We exude the aroma of Christ. Thus, our lambs come to find comfort, safety and love as they trust our scent.
To take the analogy further, Christ calls himself the Shepherd and notes that the sheep hear his voice and they follow him. So the lambs are drawn to the aroma of Christ in their mothers and through this they hear the voice of their Shepherd. Mothers point to Christ. Mothers model Christ. Their children learn to trust their mothers who are pointing them to the voice of Christ.
I pray I am a mother that gives off a sweet fragrance that will guide my daughter to He who will be her protector, her guide, and her salvation.
0 comments:
Post a Comment