The Hand Prints of Parents

"Children are like wet concrete, and we only have a short time to get our hand prints on them and make an impression before they are dry and set forever." --Alistair Begg

Wow. When I read this quote, it made me think about what hand prints I want to leave on Alexis. Right now it seems like eighteen years is a long time, but really, it will go fast. As parents, I think we have to be deliberate; we have to know what we want to impress upon our children. Like concrete that is slowly hardening, every moment our children get closer to being set. Every day is another step towards becoming a person that is fully formed. This means we parents play a vital role. What shape will our children take?

Something I think all parents need to do is determine the goals they have for their children and I'm not talking about things like what jobs or status they will have. What I mean is character. What will characterize our children? Will they be people of integrity, diligence, passion? Will they stand strong and solid in faith? These should be our goals for our children. These are the hand prints I want to leave on Alexis. In eighteen years, I want to behold a strong woman of character with a passionate walk with the Lord.

What will you have molded when the concrete has set?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger