Time Flies...When You Love Your Child

No joke. Yeah, time flies when you have fun, but it zooms by quicker when you're in love with your little girl. They do grow up fast. Eighteen years sounds like a long time, but I'm already thinking, "Eighteen years??? I need more time than that." At this point, I can't even imagine a time where I would be able to let Alexis go on her own. The desire to protect and defend her is so strong. I'm guessing it takes letting go a little at a time to get to that point. Let her take her first step...ride a trike...ride a bike...go to school...go to a dance...graduate...and fly all on her own. *Gulp* I already want to cry. Will she really be able to live on her own? If I do my job right, not only will she be able to tackle this world on her own, but she'll also have a foundation of love for her Lord. I am struck by both the joy and seriousness of parenting. I just love being Alexis' mommy. It's so much fun to spend every day loving her. But I also realize that God has given me a huge responsibility to guide my little girl into truth. I know that I will need God to show me the way and so I lean on Him because He is the best parent I know!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Yesterday, I was rocking Creed to sleep, and I thought, "You're going to be that hairy legged young man someday soon who is pulling away from his mother, and it's going to hurt so bad. I know you're going to need to pull away, and I want you to do it. But, God, You're going to have to help me not fall apart when he does."

It is an overwhelming thing to think about, isn't it? I've wrapped my heart and mind around the reality of Laura being an adult someday, but I've had over 3 years now to get that reality firmly rooted in my mind. It's a goal I look forward to with her -- her independence. She's got so much potential and is already such a cool kid that I know -- Lord willing -- she's going to be an amazing lady someday. I think because I don't know Creed yet it's harder to imagine him all grown up. Once his personality starts to shine through, it'll be easier for me.

Carissa said...

*Teary* Wow.

Thanks for the encouragement! It will be neat to see Alexis grow into a young woman. I keep praying that I'll have a really good relationship with her!

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger