I have heard several times children described as a mother's heart walking outside of her body. And this is so true!!! What happens to your child feels like it happens to you. When Alexis was sick this week, we went to the pediatrician and they had to give her a finger stick. Okay, now, most of the time I can handle this stuff. But for some reason, I just held onto her when the nurse did it and got so teary! Alexis is my heart and my heart cried. Wow. Such strong emotion. But I think God gave moms such sensitive hearts for a reason. I have thought many times as I am experiencing being a mom that God has made us moms with so many innate instincts that relate to our children. For example, when Alexis cries, I have to answer. This makes sense. Well, the mom heart I think God gave us so that we would be givers of compassion to our children, so we would see and feel from their perspective. What an awesome gift!
Of course, there have to be times when the heart outside your body needs to learn through trial. I think those may be the hardest times for a mom. You know it is best for your heart to fall when learning to walk, to work out difficult friendships, to stand up under temptation. May God help me to discern when to pick up my heart and when to let it be outside my body!
2 comments:
I relate so much! I remember the first time Laura had to have her finger pricked. It broke my heart. Then, when she was beat up by the kid at MDO with a Duplo block and had a scratch on her forehead... That kid may have only been 2 years old, but I wanted to beat the tar out of her for whacking my little angel in the face and making her cry!
I pray for discernment for both of us! We won't always make the right decisions on our own, so we desperately need the Lord to guide us to know when to intervene and when to tough it out.
So true, Amanda! Great counsel!
Post a Comment