I've been reading a book called Seven Things Children Need by John Drescher. Today I read a poem that struck me in the heart:
"If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about
them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live."
--Dorothy Law Nolte
I would modify the last two as a
Christian mama (If children live with security, they learn to have faith
in God and if children live with friendliness, they learn to enjoy
those around them (since our world is not always a nice place and I
don't think we need to pretend it always is)). Still, I agree with most
of the poem and especially the principle behind it that begs parents to
ask the question "What is my child living with and what is he learning
from it?"
Drescher discusses all throughout
his book how parents affect their children. He describes parental
influence like this: "Parents are a kind of mirror in which children see
themselves. This influences their perception of themselves and the kind
of persons they see themselves being. They absorb early the emotional
climate of the home and sense whether they are surrounded by care and
love or by selfishness and tenseness." In reading this book, I have had
to look in my own mirror to ask what Alexis is seeing about herself in
me. Some of Drescher's tidbits have struck close to home. I'll share
four:
1) "A parent can also cause
feelings of rejection by doing things for the child with an air of
martyrdom." I admit I have done this. When I am busy and for the
millionth time Alexis needs my help, I tend to breathe out in
frustration then reluctantly go over to help her. It hadn't occurred to
me that by doing this she may feel rejected. I am working on always
serving her with a joyful heart.
2) "Underprotection is less
dangerous than overprotection. A parent obviously should seek to protect
a child from danger. Yet by overprotecting the child the spirit of
adventure can be damaged, instilling a spirit of fear rather than
faith." I protect Alexis everywhere we go and some of that I know is
needed. I'm not going to let her run around outside by herself or jump
off the stairs or be alone with strangers. However, this was a good
reminder that I need to allow her to have a spirit of adventure and not
be so overprotective that I keep her from doing things that build her
faith.
3) "When age-appropriate freedom
is denied to them, a child can feel that their judgments are not
trustworthy." I have begun offering Alexis more choices instead of
choosing for her. I had done this early on, but I think she can handle
even more choices now. I want her to learn that she can make judgments
and that I trust her to do so. I don't want her to think that she is
incapable of choosing.
4) "John Locke years ago advised,
'The sooner you treat him like a man, the sooner he will be one.'
Children have a remarkable ability to live up to their reputation. Call a
child a rascal and the child will probably act like one. Call the child
bad and the child is likely to prove it. Tell your friends your child
is a little devil and they’ll soon agree. On the other hand, parents who
trust their children and expect the best of them usually find the
children living up to their expectations." This is one I have actually
worked on from the beginning. A friend of mine mentioned once that when
she had made a mess, her parents would say, "You're a mess." She took
this to heart, thinking she was a mess, a bad person. Her
parents could have said, "The paint is a mess. Let's clean it up
together." So I have been careful never to call Alexis anything but
sweet names and never to imply that she is the mess or the rascal. I
also think we need to be careful what we say about our children to
others in front of them. If your spouse comes home and you describe all
the misbehavior of your child to him or her in front of your child, you
are sending the message that your child is a terrible person and that
this is the primary thing others need to know about your child. I made a
decision long ago not to demean my husband in front of other people.
We should also make that decision about our children.
What about you? What is your child living with and what are they learning from it?
0 comments:
Post a Comment