I dreamed about breastfeeding my
baby. No, really. I had an actual dream. In it, my baby girl had just been born and I
was afraid I wouldn’t be able to breastfeed her, but she crawled right up to my
breast and latched on. Sigh.
Okay, so it would have been nice if my real life had ended the way my dream
did; but it didn’t. I so wanted to
breastfeed and had planned on doing it for a year. I wanted my baby to get all breastfeeding’s
benefits. Unfortunately, after she was
born, she had a difficult time latching on and I went through serious
postpartum depression. I was advised by
my doctor that breastfeeding might not be best for me and my baby. I had a hard time letting go of my
breastfeeding dream, but go it did. Now
I’ve realized that turning to bottle feeding was a change both my baby and I
needed.
So for all the moms out there who
have faced similar circumstances (or even for those who have chosen bottle
feeding), I know how you feel. I’d like
to offer you five pieces of advice and encouragement I have learned in my
journey.
1) You have to let go of the “perfect mom.” In my mind, I had constructed the picture of
the perfect mom. She breastfed. For a year.
Through hurricanes, blizzards and tornadoes. But this was an unrealistic picture, because
the perfect mom doesn’t exist. It’s so
easy to decide what your life like a mom will look like before your baby is
born. The truth is you have to figure it
out as you go along. Some things that
work for one mom, won’t work for you.
Flexibility needs to be the word for moms. I have learned that I am not any less a mom
for bottle feeding my baby. I still love
her and bottle feeding was the best choice for us.
2) Bottle feeding is bonding. I thought when I stopped breastfeeding that
this would somehow impair my bonding with my baby, but it hasn’t. In fact, it has increased our bond. When breastfeeding, the postpartum depression
caused me to resent my baby every time I fed her. I hated it and I hated that she made me do
it. This was a terrible place to live
in. With the switch to bottle feeding,
all that resentment disappeared and she and I started to get to know one
another. And who says you can’t have
skin to skin contact when bottle feeding?
You can still hold your baby against your bare skin with a bottle in her
mouth.
3) Your child won’t be unintelligent.
There are so many statistics out there that bombard expectant moms and
one of them I was convinced about was the fact that breastfeeding kids were
smarter. I thought my baby would suffer
in the intelligence department. But then
I found out my mom had a similar struggle as mine when I was born. I’ve gone to college, earned two masters
degrees, taught overseas and love my teaching job now. I watch documentaries and science shows. I don’t consider myself unintelligent. So I know for a fact that bottle feeding
doesn’t mean my baby will be unintelligent.
What will matter far more than my feeding choice is raising her
surrounded by educational experiences.
4) Your child won’t be unhealthy.
The other statistic I read said that breastfeeding babies had fewer
allergies and were healthier. So my next
worry was that my baby would suffer health wise. This fear dissipated when a friend encouraged
me. She breastfed both her boys for a
year and they both have allergy problems.
She told me not to worry. She was
right. So far, my baby’s been very
healthy. Even when she caught a small
cold, all she had were a few sniffles.
5) Bottle feeding is best for your baby. Don’t let anyone make you feel guilty for
bottle feeding! Let’s face it. If you bottle feed, you’re bound to meet at
least one person (if not several) that think you made the wrong decision. I always tell them I am so glad they could breast
feed, but say bottle feeding is working just fine for us. I needed to bottle feed to be stable and
available to my baby girl. I made the
choice that opened the door to precious bonding love and steady nourishment.
Do I wish I could have
breastfed? Yes. But I’m not and I’ve come to not only accept,
but enjoy bottle feeding. It’s taught me
to let go of unrealistic expectations, be flexible, and above all, throw guilt
out the window. I’m a better person for
bottle feeding. If you’re a bottle
feeding mom, I support you. I know you love your baby. And don’t let anyone else tell you any
different.
Epilogue
My daughter is now almost two and a half years old. She still has been remarkably healthy and she keeps making people amazed with her early command of language. She loves books and is completely curious about everything. Her desire for and grasp of knowledge is manifesting itself early. Therefore, bottlefeeding did nothing to make her "unintelligent" and it hasn't doomed her to health problems. We're still good here. Do I still wish I could have breastfed? It would have been nice. But it's funny how two years down the road, none of that matters now. I really don't care that I didn't get to breastfeed, because we have moved on from the tiny years and are enjoying the toddler years and my little ball of energy is doing great!
0 comments:
Post a Comment