Lately I have heard a point of view that has me a bit perturbed. For a long while now, Christians have asserted that mothers have a high calling from God in raising their children. But I have heard from other sources that are challenging this idea, or at least, modifying it. They assert that yes, motherhood is a calling from God, but that mothers can't consider that all they are called to. There are other ways they can serve in ministry and the church and after all, their kids will leave someday and they need to have something else they can give to God as well and not be so wrapped up in their kids. Okay, I agree that mothers can serve in other areas, too, besides just their own kids. And I also agree that you can't get so tied up in your kids that you neglect your husband and lose it when the kids are older and leave like they are supposed to. But, I do not think this somehow means that being a mother isn't a high calling and isn't what the focus of a mother should be in the years her children are with her. It isn't wrong to concentrate on your children. If a woman did nothing but raise her kids in a godly manner, then that would be absolutely fine. Where did God say that a woman who is just a mother is somehow not as godly?
Okay, I admit that this tiny rant comes out of something personal. You see, way back when I was single, I thought I would be a single missionary forever. That was my plan...but not God's. I lived in China for two years, came home, thought I'd go back, got drawn into youth ministry and realized God was directing me to teach youth (my passion is to see the next Christian generation in this country stand strong in Christ). I met Roger, fell in love, married and had Alexis, my supreme joy. And yet, how many times have I chastised myself, have I said to myself, "This isn't enough for God. You should be on the mission field. Why did you leave? Why haven't you gone back? Do you think just teaching and being a mother is enough? You must be too comfortable here. God wants you uncomfortable like all those recent books say. Since you are comfortable and think you are doing something for God by being a teacher and mother, God must think you have given up on ministry." Yes, I hear this often. And it is a lie! I know biblically that there is nothing wrong with being a mommy. I don't plan on teaching forever. I hope to be home some point. Will that mean I am wrong to be a full time mom? No. How many mothers in scripture were used by God as mothers? Many. Including our Savior's own mom!
Being a mother is a mission, a high calling from God. I know that I need to stand strong against the flaming arrow that says it isn't. I wish Christian writers who wanted to compel Christians to do more for God wouldn't make it sound like being who you are is some kind of sin. Why can't we just say, "Do what God has called you to whatever it is"? So, mothers, don't listen to the lie. You have a calling and a mission and it is your children and that is perfectly okay with God.
1 comments:
Being a mommy is by far my highest calling, but I do not think it precludes ministry. This idea that we can take a "time-out" from sharing Christ because of our "season of life" never rang true for me. I was not raised in a Christian home and was surprised to hear the gospel for the first time in my late 20's. I often wonder why the parents of Christian kids I grew up with never thought to share this great news with me. I find that by being 100% invested in my children, I have unwittingly developed a ministry to their friends, their friends parents, at their school, at our church. Being a mom has opened up ministry opportunities that I would never have had before kids...and my kids learn more by watching me live out my faith, than anything I could teach them from a book. Motherhood is both my highest calling and the ultimate mission field.
Post a Comment