Tantrums and Comfort

Alexis, now wanting more independence, has started having some tantrums. So far, there's been no flailing of legs and arms, but just angry crying. Luckily, I had read my Supernanny book recently about toddlerhood and was ready for this. Jo mentioned two important things I remembered: 1) Toddlers cannnot think when in a tantrum so reasoning with them or talking to them or trying to teach them anything during it will not happen and 2) Toddlers need to work through the tantrum and either like to be held during it or completely left alone. Alexis is definitely the hold me type. I find it interesting that when I am the one telling her she can't do something and she starts crying a fit, she wants me to hold her. It's like she just needs my comfort to get through the disappointment and anger at the world not being what she likes. She gets through the tantrums quickly this way; I've noticed if I don't hold her, she just clings to my legs, but if I hold her, her tears subside within a couple minutes and then it's on to something else.

I thought how this is a good analogy of our relationship with God. Maybe there are times God has told us no in our life and we don't like it. Where do we go for comfort? Back to God. Back to crying out to Him and letting our emotions go and then saying, "I want to trust you and conform to your will." David does that so many times in Psalms. He cries out to God, angry, weeping, then reaffirms his trust in God. So, when you feel like you can do nothing but cry in anger, go to God. He will hear, listen and comfort and give you the strength to move forward.

1 comments:

Diana said...

How interesting. I was going through that last night. Throwing a fit at God. Only when I through a fit, I prefer to be left on my own. Not held. Maybe I should let Him hold me and I'll get through it better. :)

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger