As I thought about how things weren't happening the way I had intended, something struck me that my husband had said at our Christmas Eve service at church. He mentioned that Mary was recoverin
g from birth at that first Christmas. As I thought about that, I realized how "imperfect" the event was. That is, Mary went through labor pains, she loved her newborn, but she was still a woman recovering from birth, hormone rush and all. I'm sure it wasn't all peaches and cream for her. I'm sure Jesus woke her up every hour or two to feed. I'm sure she was tired and exhausted. But...it was still perfect. Why? Because a Savior had been born. Because the God-Man that would save us had entered the world. This was cause for rejoicing. So in the midst of shepherds coming to see them and Mary recovering, "Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart" (Luke 2:19).When it all comes down to it, every Christmas I get to see and celebrate is perfect. The fact that my Savior was born and I get to thank him and praise him means that every Christmas is perfect. I'm glad a perfect Christmas doesn't depend on healthy children, tons of gifts, even on lights, Christmas trees and ornaments. Our salvation, the birth of a baby over 2000 years ago, that is what Christmas rests on and this cannot be changed because it happened in history.
Our Christmas wasn't bad, in fact. We read the Christmas story. A stuffy baby joyfully opened presents and played with them. My family got together and enjoyed each others' company. But it was all perfect in truth because of what really matters: Immanuel, God With Us.
1 comments:
When Brad and I were talking the other day it occurred to me that Mary may not have even had a midwife available to help her, and that Joseph would have had no experience with childbirth (a shepherd might have at least watched his sheep give birth, but a carpenter would not have had the opportunity). So she was a teenager, giving birth almost alone, with only her scared fiance around to help...what a night! God was surely with them in more ways than one!
Glad you were able to enjoy your Christmas the way it was! Thanks for sharing!
Bree
Post a Comment