Easy No Sew Interchangeable Headband for Babies

So when Alexis was little I always thought the crocheted flower headbands were so pretty, but I wasn't willing to spend the money to buy them. I know now they have flowers with clips that you can put on headbands, but even buying a headband and several flowers is too expensive for me. The price for a bit of vanity just isn't worth it to this cheapskate :-) So I got this idea of creating an interchangeable headband using velcro. For the price of one headband, I now essentially have four and can add more later.

Here's what I bought to make the headband:
-Crochet headband (White will go with pretty much anything, so I went with white, but Hobby Lobby had them for $.79 so you could buy other colors and the price wouldn't break the bank)
-Flowers/Embellishments: This is your headband bling. You can be creative here. But here's the trick to doing it cheaply--don't buy the embellishments actually made for the headbands (they have these at craft stores and elsewhere). You can save money by buying bling intended for other things. The red flower, pink flower and yellow flowers below I found in the wedding section at Hobby Lobby. They were half or less of the price of the flowers marketed for headbands. They had wire attached to them for wedding bouquets. I just pulled the wire out of each. The purple flower was a cheap clip from a dollar store and I took the clip off.
-Felt to match your headband
-Sew on Velcro (though you won't do any sewing)


How to make the headband:
1. Cut out two small Velcro circles. I used a toy salt shaker from my daughter's play kitchen to trace :-)
2. Hot glue one of the circles on the inside of the headband over the headband seam.
3. If you want, hot glue the other circle on the outside of the headband matching where you glued the one inside.
4. Cut a square of rough sided Velcro and hot glue to the felt circle on the outside of the headband. (I thought later you could just glue the Velcro on directly and not the felt circle if you wanted).
5. Now for the flowers/embellishments. Cut a felt circle for each embellishment. Hot glue the circles on the back of the embellishments. (For the yellow flowers above I had several little ones and I just glued them together on a felt piece).
6. Cut out pieces of smooth sided Velcro and hot glue them on the felt on the backs of the embellishments. So you have something that looks like this:


 You're finished! Now you have a headband that is interchangeable to keep your baby stylin'!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger