I didn't go into labor on my own with
my first baby. Since I had not progressed at all and was a week
overdue, I ended up at the hospital on a Monday night with the
expectation of being induced the next morning. Cervidil was applied
to thin my cervix and that jump started labor so instead I had my
daughter in the early morning hours. For this reason, with my second
baby, I wasn't sure if I would know when labor started since I had
been at the hospital when I went into labor with my first. I was
afraid I'd miss the signs of labor. Ha ha ha...I didn't.
I woke up at 1:14 am because my lower
back was hurting. I had actually gone to bed around midnight and was
already hurting in my back but thought that was because I'd been
sleeping on the couch most of my pregnancy for back support. The fact
that the pain woke me up clued me in that this might be labor. Still,
I didn't want to wake my husband for fear this really wasn't labor
and I knew you should wait anyway until contractions were 5 minutes
apart for an hour. So I started timing what I believed were
contractions at this time, whether just Braxton Hicks or for real. 14
minutes...9 minutes...5 minutes...5 minutes...4 minutes...4
minutes...4 minutes...3 minutes...3 minutes...So, okay, at this point
I really should have just woken up my husband, but I still had this
silly fear that this wasn't really it and I'd wake him for nothing. I
waited almost an hour, but the fact that they were coming every 4 to
3 minutes made me decide that this was most likely it and since our
hospital was 35 minutes away, I'd better get things moving.
My husband is not a happy camper when
you wake him up. I think it's so funny that when I woke him his first
words to me were, "Why does this have to happen at 2:00 in the
morning?" Yep. That's my husband. He got up and started getting
ready while I got our five year old daughter up and dressed. I'd
already packed up stuff for myself and her so it didn't take too long
to get in the car. By the time we were on the road my contractions
were moving towards two minutes apart. They weren't terribly painful
as I could still talk through them. I called my parents (who live
right by the hospital) along the way to meet us there.
We arrived at the hospital at 3:15 am
and then it was routine being taken to labor and delivery and
assessed. At this point the contractions were taking my breath away
and my five year old said, "I'm scared." She'd been
excited, but I think seeing me in pain made her afraid. When they
measured me I hadn't progressed any more since my last OB
appointment; I was still 3 centimeters. I think they didn't think I'd
progress so quickly and I didn't either. We were all wrong. (As a
side note, poor hubby was so tired that when they took information
and asked what my highest level of education was he said, "She's
in preschool," thinking of our daughter. LOL. I corrected that).
They put me in a room and soon my
parents came. My mom stayed and my dad took my five year old back to
their home to sleep and await baby's arrival. Now, in my first labor,
because I was going to be induced the next morning, they gave me a
sleeping pill to help me sleep overnight. But I went into labor as
you'll recall above. So with my first, I have a hazy memory of labor.
I slept between contractions and pushes. I remember being in pain but
I got an epidural fairly quickly. I had to ask my husband a lot of
questions later about what went down since I wasn't cognizant for a
lot of it. This time, my memory is filled mostly with pain.
All I know is it hurt, I screamed. The nurse was great at talking me
through and my mom held my hand. My water broke and the contractions
hurt worse. I'd carried a lot of fluid so it came gushing out and
kept gushing through several contractions. I asked the nurse what
color it was and she looked surprised. I knew it should be clear to
show no infection and she said, "It is clear, labor and delivery
nurse" :-)
I did
want an epidural with this labor as well and had already asked for
it, but the anesthesiologist had to drive up in the middle of the
night. I kept asking when he would get here and telling them I needed
him here because I did not
want to labor all the way through without pain meds. I knew if he
didn't get here soon they couldn't give me the epidural at all. It
took forever for him
to get there. By the time he did I had progressed to 9 centimeters! I
had gone almost all the way. I was so glad to get the epidural and
finally be able to think and breathe.
Soon
after, pushing began. I don't remember how many times I pushed, but
it wasn't many. Our second baby girl was born at 6:00 am on the dot,
a mere 2 hours and 45 minutes after we got to the hospital. They
placed her on my abdomen immediately and I was in love at first
sight. Actually, I'd been in love since I got pregnant.
You
see, we tried for almost three years to get pregnant a second time. I
had spent much time in the sadness of infertility. It took us almost
two years to get pregnant with our first. Coming up on three years
trying to get pregnant again, I figured that it wasn't meant to be.
My prayers had turned from, "Lord, please help me get pregnant"
to "Lord, I want to want what you want. Make me content with one
child"; and I really meant that. If Alexis was the only child we
would ever have, I wanted to be fine with that. I didn't want to keep
spending time pining away over something I would never have. I needed
to be wholly present for my husband and daughter.
So in
May, when I felt cramping, I figured my period wasn't far away. And
then I kept cramping and cramping, but no bleeding. Hum...I finally
decided to use a pregnancy test I happened to have and just see. I
told myself I wasn't pregnant and not to get my hopes up--and then
the blue line that declared I was pregnant appeared. I was excited,
overwhelmed, in disbelief. And I loved that little one in my womb
that very moment.
However,
I am also someone who struggles with fear. I was so afraid that
something would go wrong. But God used this pregnancy to strengthen
and solidify my faith. I bled early on. I ended up in the ER, afraid
that I had lost my little one. Yet in that moment I told God, "I
will love you, no matter what." It was only two veins bursting
on my cervix as my womb grew--no harm to the baby. So I was put on a
light bed rest. And then I had a gestational diabetes scare--but
blood work came back normal. And then I tested positive for Group B
Strep and would need antibiotics during labor to keep the baby safe.
And all along I prayed. Nights were hard. I'm always more fearful at
night. But I kept turning to God with thanksgiving and praise in the
midst of worry. And somewhere along the way I heard an almost audible
voice say to me, "Be calm, Carissa. This baby will be delivered
and be fine." And I held to that promise.
All along my pregnancy I was struck
by the grace of God. I didn't need to be pregnant again. I didn't
need to be enjoying the beautiful movements of a growing child
inside. But I was. Every movement was a reminder of God's grace in
opening my womb again. I kept being drawn back to a Psalm that spoke
to me in my fear, Psalm 27. I held onto the first and last verses
most: "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall
I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be
afraid?...Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take
courage; wait for the Lord!"
During pregnancy, when I woke up in the
middle of the night, which was often, I'd read through a baby name
website I found online, perusing potential names for our little girl.
Originally I'd been drawn to Lydia, a favorite character of mine in
the Bible and my grandmother's name. But I wanted my husband to like
the name as well and so I did what we did with our first baby: I made
a list and then had my husband look at it and nix anything he didn't
like. For this reason, I still went through a name list to pick
several to choose from. That's how I stumbled upon Eliora. I had
never heard this Hebrew name before, but I thought it sounded
beautiful and I was drawn to its meaning: God is my light.
I spent most nights of my pregnancy
praying through fear and sleeping on our couch. Our house has windows
everywhere and in our living room are high windows above our first
level windows. Most days I awoke to the sunrise filtering through
those windows and I'd look and think, "The Lord is my light,
what shall I fear?" The more I meditated on that verse, the more
I fell in love with the name Eliora. It fit my infertility and
pregnancy journeys perfectly. And it contained the truth I want for
my baby: that the Lord would be her light all throughout her life.
Labor happened so quickly, I didn't get the two rounds of antibiotics I needed for the Group B Strep. But you know what? Eliora was fine. She showed no signs of infection. When she was born, we discovered two knots her cord. But they were both loose. I had prayed specifically that God would protect my baby from cord problems. You see, God kept his promise to me. She was delivered and she was fine.
Labor happened so quickly, I didn't get the two rounds of antibiotics I needed for the Group B Strep. But you know what? Eliora was fine. She showed no signs of infection. When she was born, we discovered two knots her cord. But they were both loose. I had prayed specifically that God would protect my baby from cord problems. You see, God kept his promise to me. She was delivered and she was fine.
God is my light. He's my light, he's my
family's light, he's Eliora's light. God is the only solid hope in
our world. Our baby was born at 6:00 am and not long after, the sun
rose. My mom took the picture above. It's a reminder of our baby's birth and
of God's glory in creating a child in an infertile womb and
sustaining the faith of a fearful woman throughout her pregnancy. I
still struggle with fear. This world will give me plenty of reasons
to fear, but I am so overjoyed that God has shown his faithfulness
and love to me through the gracious gift of our precious Eliora Kay.
2 comments:
Beautiful testimony of God's goodness and grace in your life! Thanks for sharing it!
What a precious gift for God!
Post a Comment