In our home, we emphasize Jesus at Christmastime. When I was growing up our church had a Chrismon tree and service every year. Most people don't know what a Chrismon tree is anymore. Some people wonder if it's like a Jesse Tree. The Jesse Tree tells the story of the Bible from Adam and Eve to Jesus. A Chrismon Tree is different. The ornaments on a Chrismon Tree all symbolize a truth about Jesus. The term Chrismon is a combination of "Christ" plus "monogram." I've always loved the Chrismon Tree because it reminds me of who is most important this time of year.
Chrismons are colored gold and white, gold to represent Jesus' glory and white to represent his purity. This year was the first year we did the Chrismons with our daughter. We added several each time we celebrated Advent. She loved putting them on the tree and I got to tell her what each ornament meant. It is a great way to teach your child who Jesus is.
Below are the Chrismons from our tree and what they mean. These aren't all the Chrismon symbols, just the ones we currently have. I plan on making a new one each Christmas.
Cross with a circle—Jesus is God (circle can represent God and also eternity for eternal life)
The X represents both the manger and chi, the first letter of the Greek word for Christ. The circle is the baby Jesus in the manger.
A combination of the two Greek letters chi (X) and ro (P), the first two letters of the Greek “christos,” Christ.
Five pointed star—can represent the star at Jesus’ birth and also Jesus’ five wounds on the cross.
Crown of Thorns—Jesus’ suffering at the hands of men.
Lamb—Jesus is the “Lamb of God,” the sacrifice for sin. Refers to the Old Testament and the lamb’s blood that covered the Israelites from the last plague in Egypt.
Cross with serpent—Sign of salvation in the Old Testament that foreshadowed Jesus’ sacrifice (John 3:14)
Crown—Jesus is king of kings and lord of lords, ruler of heaven and earth.
Jesus died for the world and reigns over the world. He is also triumphant over all worldly troubles.
Fish—Each letter in the Greek word for fish (icthus) stands for a truth about Jesus: Jesus, Christ, God, Son, Savior.
Alpha and Omega, the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet—Jesus is the beginning and the end of all things.
Shepherd’s staff—Jesus is the Good Shepherd. Can also relate to the shepherds told by the angel about Jesus’ birth.
The Trinity—Combined with the circle it represents God as three in one: Father, Son, Holy Spirit.
Dove—Represents the Holy Spirit (as he appeared at Jesus’ baptism). Can also represent God’s peace to the world.
Shell—Represents Jesus’ baptism and also the baptism of believers. Three pearls inside the shell stand for the Trinity which was present at Jesus’ baptism (the Father speaking, Jesus being baptized and the Holy Spirit coming down in the form of a dove).
Angel—A reminder of both the angel that heralded Jesus’ birth and the angel that will announce Jesus’ second coming by blowing a trumpet.
Butterfly—A symbol of transformation and the new life of a believer through Jesus Christ.
Globe—Can represent eternal life, God or the world.
Jerusalem Cross—One large cross with four little crosses. The large cross represents Jesus; the four little crosses represent both the four gospels and taking the good news to the four corners of the world.
I love Jesus and I love how these ornaments all represent him. This Christmas, however we do it, let us remember the reason for our celebration!
Our Chrismon Tree Alight
3 comments:
Wow, I've never heard of this tradition, but I love it. I hope I remember this next year so we can give it a try also.
I can tell you how to make the ornaments!
I love all of the symbolism and meaning! The color scheme is so glamorous! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment