Just today I saw a report on Good Morning America about little girls and how they view themselves, particular in respect to weight. They interviewed a six year old who has been told by classmates that she is fat and she worries all the time that she needs to lose weight. The problem? Not only is this a six year old already obsessed with weight, but, in fact, she is not overweight. Her pediatrician says she is right on average and doing well and very healthy. So why is she being told she is overweight?
We live in a culture that has become preoccupied and obsessive over weight. It is one thing to be healthy; it is another to become obsessed with what we look like. Everyone is dieting, running and complaining about weight because as a culture we keep telling ourselves that if we aren't skinny minnies, something is wrong. I think it has become far less about health and a lot more about how people perceive us. We care a lot more about what people think and we don't want people thinking we are fat. Thus, people who are healthy go around worrying and obsessing about weight because we are so afraid of what people think. We have put our worth in what we look like and not in who we are: humans made in the image of God and thus possessing invaluable worth.
Even I find it hard to remember my worth is in God. As a mother who has struggled to lose all the baby weight (curse you, last 12 pounds!), I find that I think a lot about my weight and how people see me. I worry that people will think negatively about me, will chastise me, will describe me as fat. I know that most people won't try to know me and my heart, know that I am a mommy and a teacher with a lot of busyness and very little time to exercise. They won't realize I still hold weight from my body making a miracle. They'll just judge me from the outside and never care for my heart. That fact keeps me worrying daily about weight. And I hate this. I don't want to worry. I know that "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." So why can't I get my mind around that? Why can't I find my worth in God and let go my fear over my body image?
My culture has gone the way of the unhealthy, focused on junk and fast food. I don't think it is a bad thing that we are trying to be healthier and lead healthier lives. But when a culture becomes obsessed at all times with weight so much so that children call other children fat who aren't and a healthy six year old worries daily about her weight, maybe we need to reevaluate how we handle health and weight. Maybe we shouldn't always complain in front of our kids that we are fat. Maybe we shouldn't make our kids watch us run after fad diets. Maybe we should simply feed them healthy, balanced meals and run around the park with them. And maybe we should also tell them that their worth isn't wrapped up in their looks. Maybe we should affirm that they are a treasure and a miracle from God no matter what.
3 comments:
I agree. I think there is more to it, though. Part of our culture - and even our church culture - is saying "I don't have the time!" Meaning, I don't have the time to eat healthy, to exercise, to whatever because I'm so busy doing all these other great things for the Lord. We can only realistically dedicate to doing so many things well and exercise falls to the wayside as we serve our families, church, others, etc. Honestly, in some ways, it almost feels sinful to have a daily workout even though it protects my God-given body and makes me FEEL better all-around because of all the other "great things" other people may think I "should" be doing even though good grief... I'm doing the things that God has called me specifically to do - spending time in the word, taking care of family, homeschool, youth group, bible study, mentoring, life group, etc. Same trap of wrong thinking in listening to other people... different way of getting there. I'm not very focused on my weight but I am very mindful of being a good example of daily good choices (including exercise) and not-daily special treats. It's an ongoing journey for me, too, friend.
I agree with Jessica wholeheartedly. We are very prone to not taking care of our bodies, because we busy ourselves with so many other "good" things. Historically, people's bodies were generally stronger/healthier because of the sheer amount of work it took to exist. Now we have all of our modern conveniences that make going to the store, cooking, cleaning, etc. easy. That's why we now need to exercise when in the past, merely existing was exercise enough.
Also, I love your point, Carissa, about the need to be very careful about what we say about our bodies in front of our children. When I started exercising more consistently after school ended, Laura asked me why I exercise, and I told her that I want to be healthier and stronger. She now tells me that she wants me to exercise, because she wants me to be healthy and strong. She actually gets excited for me when I climb on the bike or when I do some ab work. It's adorable and very motivating. The last thing I want is to plant the idea in Laura's head that she doesn't need to be "fat" or "out of shape." I want her to desire being "healthy" and "strong." Sometimes, that means you're a size 10/12, because you're a taller, bigger boned, wider framed person. Sometimes, that means you're a size 4/6, because you're a shorter, smaller boned, narrower framed person.
And even when you're not within boundaries of the healthy weight that you should be for your body type and age, you should still love your body and speak well of yourself rather than beating yourself up for the way you look. <--- I'm preaching this to myself, because in private, I'm still pretty mean to myself about the way I look. :(
This summer I am exercising every day, so I feel good about that. The hard part with the school year is that, it's not that I let exercise go down the list because of laziness, because if I don't let it go down the list I will literally A) Not have food for my family and B)Have no lesson plan for class. I do get to exercise sometimes, but when you have, almost every weekend, 40 papers to grade (times 3 or 4 when you are already behind), it becomes an impossibility. (Amanda, I know you know this :-D). I want it to be a priority to exercise and I try to get 30 minutes in 3 times a week, but there are certainly weeks where the papers come in and my time is literally me and the papers. I can't even take care of my daughter at night and my husband has to. *Sigh* The plus in this is that, in fact, I have not gained any weight for the last year. I have maintained, which is good, but I want to lose. And then I speak negatively to myself all the time and think I am ugly and that is an added burden to all the child-rearing and grading. I want to be healthy and strong and I hope God will help me get there somehow.
Post a Comment