Jesus' Arms Around My Child
I had an epiphany the other day. Not once in the Bible do we see Jesus treat children harshly. We see him rebuke the disciples for hindering children wanting to see him, using children as examples of faith. Try to imagine Jesus slapping a child or screaming at her or telling him he's not good enough. I don't know about you, but I can't do it. That just is never the way we see Jesus interacting with children.
Jesus was outside the box in his day when he simply spent time talking to a woman (John 4). We see how important women were to Jesus as he interacts with them throughout the Gospels and how they followed him and supported his ministry. We also see women kneeling and washing his feet so touched are they by him. I can't help but think Jesus was probably outside the box when it came to kids, too. I'm guessing adults were surprised about the importance he put on little ones. You mean adults aren't always the focus? Jesus, you're choosing children over adults? That probably floored some people.
So my epiphany followed with this: When I'm frustrated or angry or feel I just can't take it anymore, I need to take a break and picture Jesus with his arms around my children. I have a feeling Jesus wouldn't just judge their little souls or spirits. I have a feeling he would sit down with them and listen to them and instruct them gently. I think this because I see the way he brought them to him and the way he treated even adults who were viewed as "deserving of what they are getting," like the adulterous woman or Zacchaeus or the woman who wiped his feet with her hair. Jesus, in fact, didn't just demonstrate kindness when people repented. He was compassionate even before they repented. The Bible says he gave up his life for me even when I was a sinner (Romans 5:8).
So the next time I feel the frustration rising, I'm going to picture Jesus holding my children. I think I'm going to print the above picture and put it on my fridge as a reminder in the moment: take a breath, calm down and remember that your children are seeing Jesus through you. May it be an accurate picture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment