If you read my last post, you know I am a diehard thrifter. You can find so much at a thrift store, much more than just clothing (check out this post if thrift stores scare you). And you can find these things for on average 90% off the retail price. (I just bought a cute infantino penguin bowling set for babies that was new in the box and retails for $25-$35 dollars for $4!) So since thrifting is a passion of mine, I'd thought I'd share some advice on how to thrift well.
1. Know the thrift stores in your area. Different thrift stores get their items from different sources, so some may fit your style or needs more than others. In my area alone there are four thrift stores within driving distance. I have shopped at each and learned what each does well for my needs. One doesn't have a dressing room which is a strike against it in my book, but its variety of and deals on toys are great. Another has a higher price range for clothes but is an adventure in its household area and has been the source of some of my greatest finds, including a pocket chart for home school. Another one has good clothes and is always my second go if I can't find something at my favorite thrift store. My favorite thrift store has it all--clothes, toys, household, so much variety. Its prices are usually the most competitive.
2. Know how much time each store will take you to shop in. It's good to know the organization strengths and weaknesses of a particular thrift store. Some thrift stores are highly organized, clothes divided by item, size and color and other areas clearly designated. These make it easy to find what you are looking for. Others are not so organized so you might have to comb through the racks for your size when looking for clothing. Still, most stores are at least generally organized. Based on their character, you will spend more time at some stores than others. If you plan for the amount of time you will need at a store, you won't be intimidated by the plethora of items.
3. Know how the stores handle sales. The thrift stores in my area have color coded price tags on their clothing and certain colors are 50% off on different days of the week. If you know the color that tends to dominate what you are looking for you can save. For example, the children's clothing is usually a green or purple tag at my favorite thrift store. Going the day these colors are half off will save me money. Also, most thrift stores have sales on holidays like Memorial Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day--if there's a holiday, there's a sale, often half off store wide. I often wait until those days to shop. Some thrift stores also send e-mails about their sales. Sign up at a store you want notices from.
4. Think ahead a season. The best way to save on clothes is to think ahead. I know what my daughter has and doesn't have for the next season so I can be on the lookout for what she needs. I got a winter coat in perfect condition for her at the summer 99 cent sale at my favorite thrift store last year! The penguin bowling set I happened upon is going to be my baby's one year birthday gift.
5. Think outside the box. A lot of things you find in a thrift store can be used for multiple purposes. Think of fun ways you could use what you see. We recently found a large makeup carrying case and turned it into a portable art bag for my daughter. It's perfect for when my little budding artist wants to carry her art supplies with her. My daughter recently demonstrated this concept when she wanted a stroller for her Bitty Baby twins and asked to go thrifting (seriously, she is definitely my daughter). She wanted a double stroller, but all we saw were singles. She drew my attention to one single at the last store we tried--"It has a bag on the back I can put one of them in. One can be in it and one in the seat." Yep. It works.
6. Don't forget gifting. If you find something nice, don't be afraid to give it as a gift. I've found so many things in their original boxes and shrink wrap if you're afraid to give something outside of packaging. But even if it isn't packaged, if you see something someone would like, get it. Put it in a nice box. They'll love it! I bought my mother an absolutely perfect and adorable light up barn for her Christmas village from a thrift store. You don't have to apologize for shopping at a thrift store or even let someone know that's where you got it if you're afraid they'll judge your gift. 99% of the time they won't know it came from a thrift store. (In my opinion, gifting is tied too much to price in our culture. Some of the gifts I value the most cost very little for the people that gave them to me).
7. Enjoy the adventure. Thrift stores are an adventure. Sometimes you aren't sure what you'll find. I don't go thrifting unless I am looking for something, but I also leave myself open to finding something I didn't expect like a pocket chart or a penguin bowling set. Don't go over your budget, but also leave room for some exploration and exciting finds. Along the same lines, be persistent. You might not find the exact thing you are looking for right away. Sometimes I have to go to multiple stores to find something. But since they are close to one another I never feel put out having to go multiple places. It's worth it to me.
Finally, a couple more words. Something I love about thrifting is that it teaches my children that we don't need to have something new. I love that my daughter wanted to go look for a stroller at a thrift store. I think Americans need to get over this idea that everything has to
be new. We're already drowning in enough waste in our country. Let's
reuse and recycle. Also, donate to your local thrift stores. Many thrift stores are run by or for charities. When you shop thrift, you are often helping those in need. Contrary to popular belief, most thrift stores are not created for poor people. Charitable thrift stores sell items so they can use the money in their charities. When you shop, your money doesn't just go into a corporation but to a charity that uses it to help people in your own community.
0 comments:
Post a Comment