Do we love our children? Do we really? I got thinking about this question as I realized how much of my time I put aside for my daughter. I'm always last to the dinner table so I can get her plate ready. I play with her instead of pursuing my own hobbies (at times). Last night she spent all night in our bed because she was sick, so I could rub her back when she woke up on and off and make her feel better. And it occurred to me how much the love of our children is reflected in self-sacrifice. Love is putting your needs aside to seek the good of another.
I think as moms, every day we need to measure our love next to the Bible's description. It may not be easy and may be challenging, may expose some of our selfishness, but I guarantee it will impress our children. They may not say it out loud, "Hey, mom, your love is awesome!" but they will certainly get the message in our actions. So how to measure? 1 Corinthians 13 of course!
Love is patient: Do I speak calmly while I am waiting for my child to do something? Or do I yell and push my child to hurry, to keep to my time table?
Love is kind: Do I treat my child as if she is a gift from God, a human being made in the image of God? Or do I find myself treating her badly because in her childishness, she acts as a child, not an adult?
Love does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud: Do I willingly submit myself to the daily grind of motherhood? Or do I get upset because time for my pleasures is not available to me?
Love does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs: Do I let go the times my children misbehave? Do I refuse to display their wrongs by shaming them in front of others? Or do I talk about my children's bad behavior in front of them or compare them to their siblings or bring up all the times they've failed when I discipline them?
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth: Am I fair as I deal with my child? Or do I find myself being dishonest with them, wanting the quicker way than the way that moves towards truth?
Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres: Is my love constant? Or do I withhold it at times out of anger or frustration?
Love never fails: Do I keep on loving, even when the going gets tough? Or do I bow out and run away to seek myself?
I think if we evaluate as mommies and change where needed, we can be true mommies of love. Our children will understand what love really looks like, that it isn't a feeling, but an act of the will. Our children will know they are always accepted by us because we truly love them. And hopefully, even through the rocky times, they'll come out the other side saying, "I may struggle with my mom sometimes, but I know her love will never fail me."
1 comments:
Beautifully stated. I love reading your writings. You are so talented and inspiring. I hope your angel is feeling better.
Post a Comment