My Word

From Mama Kat's writing prompts: "Choose a word that encompasses 2010 and describe why. What word will you choose as your theme for 2011?"

My word for 2010 is challenge. I actually thought of putting stress or overwhelmed, but so many good things happened this year, too, so I decided on challenge. Two things made my life a pretty big challenge this year: 1) A growing baby and 2) Teaching. Baby + Teaching = stress and a need for balance. Please don't get me wrong. I am not sorry I had a baby and I have never regretted it.
I adore my Alexis and everyday thank God for her birth and for her health. But she now needs more of my attention and this created a challenging cycle. Either I took care of my family and got behind in my school work or I took care of my schoolwork and neglected my family. This resulted in me finding myself more easily angered then ever I have been. I think the stress and being tired (I was up to at least midnight most nights, if not later) turned me into an unhappy woman and a wife and mother that often yelled when she should have remained quiet.

So, my word for 2011: balance. One term of teaching with an active baby has taught me several things: 1) I need time to relax. I need to start reading for pleasure again (already started this one). This also means cutting out the draining TV. 2) I need to exercise. Last term I began by exercising three times a week, then got busy with new preps for school. I won't have as many new preps this term so I hope I can keep up exercising again. 3) I need to let go some things. I've already taken steps to stop working with a small group at school. It's an extra thing I just really don't need to add to my stress. 4) Structure. Some people thrive on freedom, I need structure. I need to have general times that I exercise, read, work and play with my baby. My goal is that by doing these four things I will find my life in balance and I will not be an easily-angered person.

Of course, over all this is God. I have to rely on Him and go to Him every day. I am reading my Bible consistently again. This has helped me beyond measure already. I am refocusing and moving my mind back to what matters. With God, I think I can find balance and emotional stability. And I think 2011 is going to be a good year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Mommy Musings | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger